Welcome to the Department of Philosophy!
The University of Washington Department of Philosophy is located in Savery Hall, looking out at the famous cherry trees that line the heart of the university campus. Our faculty carry on a proud tradition of award-winning teaching and research in core areas of philosophy and history of philosophy, with special strength in ethics and philosophy of science. The department prides itself on being inclusive and diverse, with many faculty holding joint or adjunct appointments in other units of the university.
We have a strong and popular undergraduate program that enrolls many majors and minors, and our outstanding Ph.D. program has placed graduates in philosophy departments around the country.
The department is a center of philosophy for the university and the surrounding Seattle community, including an outreach program fostering philosophy for children. An active colloquium program supports general philosophical interests, and the department regularly hosts conferences and workshops to advance more specialized philosophical research.
The Department of Philosophy at the University of Washington is a community of philosophers with an expansive vision and an outward focus. We aspire to practice "engaged philosophy," believing that our discipline has vital contributions to offer all areas of inquiry. We aim, through our teaching and research, to foster interdisciplinary conversations in which philosophical tools and methods are brought to bear upon problems and topics of public interest.
We are committed to:
- building an inclusive community of scholars who thrive on diverse perspectives
- pursuing innovative research agendas that have impact beyond the walls of the academy
- embracing evidence-based teaching methods that inspire all our students and enable them to cultivate the skills of lifelong learners
- training graduate students for impactful professional careers
- demonstrating the value of philosophical inquiry across campus and in the local, regional, and global communities we inhabit
University of Washington
Department of Philosophy
Savery Hall, Room 361
Seattle, WA 98195
See full contact information