In an emergency, always call 911.
Non-emergency: 206-685-UWPD (8973)
Health and Safety Plans
Philosophy faculty, staff, graduate students and visitors are required to be familiar with the following plans:
- Fire Safety and Evacuation Plan for Savery Hall
- Health and Safety Plan for the Department of Philosophy
Departmental Safety Information
- First aid kits are located in Savery Hall, Rooms 361 and 373.
- Incident/Accident report forms are located online. Don't forget that you should report "near misses" too!
- Do not use elevators during an emergency evacuation.
- Evacuation assembly points are Denny Yard and the Quad.
Campus Safety And Emergency Resources
The UW has many resources to ensure campus safety and emergency preparedness. We encourage you to become familiar with what’s available before an emergency arises. And remember, if you see something, say something.
UW's Safety Portal - The UW Safety Portal is a great place to start when looking for any kind of safety/crisis management information. Many of the resources listed below concerning physical safety, violence prevention, environmental hazards, and physical and mental health and wellness can be reached via the Safety Portal.
- UW Alert - notifications of emergencies or crisis situations that may disrupt the normal operations of the University.
Sign up here.
- Safe Campus - acts as the central point of communication and the coordinating unit for violence mitigation activities across the UW. Call 206-685-SAFE (206-685-7233) 24/7 to speak with staff specially trained to receive reports of potentially violent situations and provide resources and referrals to UW services.
- Active Shooter - Campus Emergency Procedures - This resource from the UW Police Department provides procedures for how to handle an emergency situation involving an active shooter, as well as providesl inks to additional video information and a training resources page
- UW Emergency Management - institution-wide programs and projects that promote disaster planning, training, mitigation, response, prevention and recovery for all-hazards.
- Environmental Health and Safety - a UW administrative department that is responsible for addressing environmental issues in order to provide a safe educational and work place on campus.
Campus Wellness Resources
- UW Mindfulness Project - The UW Mindfulness Project works to promote healthy maintenance of mental and emotional wellness by providing a unique space and proactive programs dedicated to mindfulness-based practices that encourage students to slow down, reflect, and connect.
- Hall Health - Hall Health Center is an outpatient clinic that provides health care to University of Washington students, alumni, faculty, and staff as well as the general community. Hall Health's clinics and servicse include: Primary Care, Mental Health, Women's Health, Family Medicine, Travel Clinic, Immunization, Physical Therapy, and others, in addition to Lab Services and a full service Pharmacy.
- Hall Health Mental Health - For brief treatment approach to individual and couples therapy, as well as crisis counseling, group therapy and support groups, mindfulness meditation, and other resources
- Counseling Center - The Counseling Center is a mental health resource where currently enrolled students can receive assistance with adjustment issues, depression, anxiety, relationship concerns, and a variety of other challenges. It is staffed by psychologists and mental health counselors who provide developmentally-based counseling, assessment, and crisis intervention services. Students currently enrolled in tuition-based, degree seeking programs at the UW Seattle campus are generally eligible for services at the Counseling Center.
- Online Mental Health Screening - Here you can take the opportunity to fill out a brief self-assessment test for Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Alcohol or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, which you could later discuss with a counselor at the Counseling Center