- Graduate Handbook
- Personnel Files & Academic Records
- Teaching Assistant Manual
- Career Exploration & Job Market
- Other Useful UW Resources
2015-16 Graduate Handbook (PDF) -- contains policies and procedures for the Department of Philosophy graduate program
How to Obtain the Mentoring You Need: A Guide for Graduate Students - This guide gives students pointers on mentoring relationships with faculty
Graduate student personnel files and academic records are kept by the Graduate Program Advisor in the administrative offices in SAV 361. Access to personnel files is governed by Article 21 of the UW-UAW contract and access to academic records is governed by FERPA.
2016-2017 TA Manual (PDF) -- provides guidelines for Philosophy graduate student Teaching Assistants
**For more teaching resources, see the Teaching Resources page
The UW Department of Philosophy Placement Committee organizes workshops, creates reference materials, and provides guidance on all aspects of preparing for and navigating the job market.
- Philosophy Placement Catalyst Site -- A repository of information including notices of upcoming workshops and archives of handouts, useful tips and job search guidelines, sample dossier material (CVs, cover letters, teaching dossiers), and other placement material. [For current and recently completed UW Department of Philosophy graduate students]
UW Career Center
The UW Career Center is a great resource for graduate students. They offer everything from workshops on CVs and cover letters to professionally appointed private rooms for Skype interviews. Two collections of resources are particularly useful for graduate students:
- Academic Careers -- A wealth of handouts and information on academic careers
- Beyond Academia -- Handouts and information about making the transition to a non-academic or alt-ac career
Outside Career Resources
- ImaginePhD - a career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences
- APA Career Resources
- #Alt-Academy - Ebook (downloadable as PDF)
- Career Preparation Toolkit for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars (from UCLA)
- VersatilePhD - Versatile PhD is the oldest, largest online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs
The Graduate School
The Graduate School
MyGrad (Student View) - Graduate School portal used to request academic leave, schedule a doctoral general or final exam, submit a Master's degree request, and other actions throughout graduate school
Important Dates & Deadlines for Graduate Students - This page provides all dates and deadlines for the current academic year
Grading System for Graduate Students
Final Submission of Your Dissertation
Research, Funding, and Professional Development
Individual Development Plan
Library Research Guide for Philosophy - Faye Christenberry, Philosophy Librarian
Simpson Center for Humanities - great source for fellowships and cross-disciplinary collaboration!
Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS)
Subscribe to the GFIS Wordpress Blog to get email updates about graduate funding opportunities
Open Writing Circles (Odegaard Writing & Research Center)
Safety and Wellness
See the departmental Safety and Wellness resources page for information about departmental safety policies & procedures, as well as campus resources for physical and mental health & safety as well as security online.
Indentity.UW - Update your UW Directory information, preferred name, and UWNetId recovery and two-factor authentication (2FA) settings
Labor Relations - TAs and RAs are represented by UAW Local 4121 - Contract
Compliance Services - Title IX and ADA Information and Resources
This Master List of UW Listservs provides the name and brief description of all of the listservs on campus. It is a great way to discover new groups and activities about which might be interested in receiving updates.