Let creativity be your guide in creating a short video about “Why do we need philosophy now?” Open to all UW students, no prior video creation experience is required.
In 2 minutes or less tell us “Why do we need philosophy now?”: Why is philosophy important to today’s society? Why is philosophy important to study
This contest is possible thanks to contributions to the Friends of Philosophy Fund.
- Open to all current UW undergraduate students, who are enrolled in a philosophy class from Winter 2020 - Winter 2021
- Two minutes or less in length
- Must be original content, not containing copyrighted material (i.e. commercial music)
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. PST, Monday, March 8, 2021
- Submit an entry form (upload your video via the form as an mp4 file)
- Fill out a personal release form and submit
toKate Goldyn at email@example.com
- Submit personal release forms for any additional people featured in the video.
- Videos may not be shared publicly until April 1, 2021.
- You may caption your video but it is not required. If your video is selected it will be captioned before it is shown. A script of the video may be asked for help in captioning.
- No laws or UW rules can be broken in the creation of the video.
- All submissions may be shared on the UW Department of Philosophy YouTube channel and website.
- For students who are foreign nationals, prizes are subject to a standard 30% taxation rate.
Judging & Prizes
- Winners will be selected by a jury of Department of Philosophy faculty, graduate students, staff
andadvisory board members
- Judging criteria and scale:
- effectively communicating the theme “Why do we need philosophy now?” (up to 4 pts.)
- creativity (up to 4 pts.)
- cohesive storytelling (up to 4 pts.)
- video production (up to 3 pts.)
- First place: $500
- Second place: $250
- Third place: $100
Looking for a partner
Do you have a vision but lack video skills? Have great video editing skills but struggling with an idea? We encourage working safely with other students. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help looking for a partner.
- Student Tech Loan: Offers video cameras, laptops
- UW Design Help Desk: can help you create visuals/graphics (data visualization, font treatment, etc.)
B-roll video or image resource: