I am a doctoral candidate specializing in questions of socioeconomic class, economic justice, and immigration. I am currently working on my dissertation, "Problems of Migration in a Global Economy," and will be going on the academic job market this fall. For more information, see my website: https://www.michaelball-blakely.com
Recent and Upcoming Presentations and Commentaries
Commentary on (TBD) during the Symposium on Relational Equality and Vulnerability at the 2022 Pacific APA.
"Transnational Capitalism and Feudal Privilege: Open Borders as a Tool for Non-Domination" at the Pacific APA (online), April 2021.
Commentary on "Who is Responsible for the Climate Change Problem" by Megan Blomfield at the Ben Rabinowitz Environmental Ethics Workshop (online), February 2021.
"Realism as Utopia: Reimagining Ideal Theory and Economic Justice in the Law of Peoples" at the MANCEPT Workshop in Political Theory, September 2019.
"Skill-Selection and Socioeconomic Status: An Analysis of Immigration and Domestic Economic Justice" at the Eastern APA (online), January 2021.
Awards and Honors
- 2020-2021 UW Philosophy Graduate Teaching Award
- 2020-21 Joff Hanauer Excellence in Western Civilization Graduate Fellow
- 2018 John Hardwig Prize for Teaching Excellence
- 2018 Prados Summer Dissertation Award
- 2014-2018 University of Tennessee Chancellor’s Fellowship
- 2018 University of Tennessee Richard Aquila Graduate Essay Contest, 2nd Place
- UW Philosophy Department Writing Center Graduate Supervisor (2021-2022)
- Scheduled writing center hours for several undergraduate tutors; logged writing center activities; tutored students in philosophical writing
- Program on Ethics (PoE) Research Assistant (2020-2021)
- Conducted independent research for faculty projects; facilitated zoom talks; compiled the yearly PoE Newsletter; and attended PoE meetings, taking minutes.
- UW Philosophy Department Writing Center Graduate Supervisor (2019-2020)
- UTK Graduate Student Faculty Representative 2018
- 1st Annual University of Tennessee Graduate Student Conference “Justice Across Borders” (2018)
- Wrote the Conference CFP; invited keynote speakers; reviewed submissions
- UTK Graduate Student Faculty Representative 2015