Stephen M. Gardiner is Professor of Philosophy and Ben Rabinowitz Endowed Professor of the Human Dimensions of the Environment at the University of Washington, Seattle, where he is also Director of the Program on Ethics. His research focuses on global environmental problems, future generations and virtue ethics.
Steve is the author of A Perfect Moral Storm (Oxford, 2011), and co-author of Debating Climate Ethics (Oxford, 2016) and Dialogues on Climate Justice (Routledge, in press). He is also the editor of Virtue Ethics, Old and New (Cornell, 2005) and the Oxford Handbook of Intergenerational Ethics (Oxford, in press), and co-editor of the Oxford Handbook of Environmental Ethics (Oxford, 2016), Climate Ethics: Essential Readings (Oxford, 2010) and The Ethics of “Geoengineering” the Global Climate: Justice, Legitimacy and Governance (Routledge, 2020).
Steve has published more than fifty articles and book chapters, including in leading journals such as: Climatic Change; Environmental Ethics; Environmental Values; Ethics; Ethics & International Affairs; Ethics, Policy & the Environment; Journal of Political Philosophy; Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy; and Philosophy and Public Affairs.
In 2021, he presented the Academy Lecture for Humanities and Social Sciences at the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, and the Alan Saunders Lecture in Public Ethics at the Australasian Association for Philosophy, which was broadcast nationally by Australian Public Radio.
- Stephen M. Gardiner and Arthur R. Obst, Dialogues on Climate Justice (Routledge, 2023)
- Stephen Gardiner, Catriona McKinnon and Augustin Fragniere, eds. The Ethics of "Geoengineering" the Global Climate: Justice, Legitimacy and Governance (Routledge, 2020)
- Stephen M. Gardiner. 2019. ‘Motivating a Global Constitutional Convention for Future Generations’, Environmental Ethics 41, 199-220.
- Gardiner, Stephen M., and Augustin Fragniere. "The Tollgate Principles for the Governance of Geoengineering: Moving Beyond the Oxford Principles to an Ethically More Robust Approach." Ethics, Policy and the Environment 21:2 (2018): 143-174.
- Gardiner, Stephen M. "Climate Ethics in a Dark and Dangerous Time." Ethics 127 (2017): 430-465.
- Stephen M. Gardiner. 2017. ‘Accepting Collective Responsibility for the Future’, Journal of Practical Ethics 5.1: 22-52
- Gardiner, Stephen M. and Allen Thompson, eds. The Oxford Handbook of Environmental Ethics. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Gardiner, Stephen M. and David A. Weisbach. Debating Climate Ethics. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Gardiner, Stephen and David Weisbach, Debating Climate Ethics. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Gardiner, Stephen M. “A Call for a Global Constitutional Convention focused on Future Generations." Ethics and International Affairs 28.3 (2014): 299-315.
- Gardiner, Stephen M. A Perfect Moral Storm: The Ethical Tragedy of Climate Change. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2013 (paperback).
- Gardiner, Stephen, Simon Caney, Dale Jamieson and Henry Shue, eds. Climate Ethics: Essential Readings. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2010.
Summer 2022 Full-term
- New book on climate justice by Stephen Gardiner and Arthur Obst - November 10, 2022
- Interview: Stephen Gardiner on the ethical concerns of climate change - August 9, 2022
- Stephen Gardiner on politics and the moral crisis of climate change - August 9, 2022
- Faculty Summer Reading Recommendations 2022 - June 29, 2022
- Stephen Gardiner on accountability in environmental philanthropy - May 6, 2022
- Stephen Gardiner gives the Alan Saunders Lecture - October 1, 2021
- Stephen Gardiner: "Climate Crisis & Institutional Denialism" - July 12, 2021
- Stephen Gardiner gave the Annual Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters Lecture - May 5, 2021
- Ben Rabinowitz Workshop on Environmental Ethics: Climate Justice & Responsibility - February 13, 2020
- Cambridge Global Conversations: Climate Ethics with Stephen Gardiner - January 23, 2020
- Professor Stephen Gardiner discusses climate change on the Global Ethics Weekly podcast - October 7, 2019
- Stephen Gardiner discusses geoengineering on KUOW’s The Record with Bill Radke - April 24, 2019
- Faculty Summer Reading Recommendations 2018 - June 26, 2018
- Geoengineering, Political Legitimacy & Justice Conference - October 23, 2017
- Ethics & Policy: 200 Days into the Trump Administration Workshop - September 18, 2017
- Ben Rabinowitz Workshop on Climate Justice - May 12, 2017
- Professor Stephen Gardiner on Cultures of Energy - The Energy Humanities Podcast - March 29, 2017
- Stephen Gardiner and Augustin Fragniere Awarded National Science Foundation Grant - November 28, 2016
- Can a Philosopher and a Scientist Co-teach a Class on Climate Engineering? - November 18, 2016
- Spring Philosophy Symposiums and Workshop - July 18, 2016
- Are We Alone in the Universe? Panel Discussion - June 7, 2016
- Climate Change: Life and Death, John Broome, Visiting Professor, Stanford University and Emeritus White's Professor of Moral Philosophy, University of Oxford - March 4, 2016
- Congratulations to Professor Steve Gardiner for his appointment American Philosophical Association’s Committee on International Cooperation! - February 18, 2016
- "Why Climate is an Ethical Problem." - January 11, 2016
- Awards and Achievements 2012 - April 1, 2014
- Newsletter Fall 2011 Awards and Achievements Faculty - March 31, 2014
- Newsletter Winter 2012 UN Climate Change Conference - March 13, 2014
- Stephen Gardiner - April 26, 2013